Monday, November 10, 2008

Looking Back: 1989

Do I remember 1989? of course I don't, I grew up in the late 90s but looking back I do see why people love that decade so much, here are a few highlights from 1989.

Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy

I actually didn't know this was from the 80's when I first heard it, I first found it bundled inside my mum's old record collection -- I really love the song.

Paula Abdul - Straight Up



This song is really awesome, sometimes I really feel bad that I weren't alive when Paula Abdul was at her peak in the music industry, I figured this after listening to her first 2 albums Forever Your Girl and Spellbound.


Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation / Miss You Much



Now Janet Jackson (along with Madonna) are the two of the few artist I'm really familiar with who emerged from the 80s. I do wonder why they never got compared to each other (especially Janet and Paula)


Madonna - Like A Prayer



Surprisingly Madonna's "Like A Prayer" still seems as relevant today as it probably did back when it was fresh on the charts. It was one of the first records my mum ever bought when she moved to London back in 1988.

5 comments:

BaseMagazine said...

Hey I love your Blog! and I'd Love to be an affiliate Hit me up at BaseMagazine@Gmail.com
Anyway, the Rhythm Nation LP is one of Janet's best albums and I love those two songs. To this day, Janet is the only female artist who have 7 top 5 singles from one album. Janet and Paula don't get compared that often but Paula was more of a choreographer than a singer. In fact she choreographed Janet's videos for "Nasty" and "When I think of You if i'm not mistaken.

J.Mensah said...

Thank you! :) i just checked ur blog! I love it!- I haven't heard from a true Janet-Fan in a really long time!- I'll add you to the "recommended blogs" section

Nikki said...

Gosh, this was a good five years before I was born! haha.. am loading some of the videos..

J.Mensah said...

You 14/15? Wow! we have the same opinions on the x-factor and we're the same age, we're so cool! :)

ww_adh said...

1989 was a great year for pop music (so was 1987, but oddly 1988 was not). I think Madonna, Paula Abdul, and Janet Jackson were compared together, as well as Whitney Houston (and after she emerged in 1990, Mariah Carey). It was sad to see Paula decline with her third album, as she did great stuff and fantastic videos. "Cold Hearted," "Straight Up," and "Rush Rush" I love.