Sunday, December 28, 2008

Best albums of 2008

Here's my sum of the best albums of 2008. Starting my blog halfway through the year, I missed out the chance to review some of the albums I really enjoyed listening too this year. Topping my list is Lil' Wayne, who delivered the best album of the year, let alone the best hip-hop album.

1. Lil' Wayne - The Carter III. Once in the shadow of his hip-hop peers (Jay-Z, Nas and Nelly to name a few) Lil' Wayne emerged back onto the scene with his third installment in the, Carter trilogy. Conjuring up a solid hip-hop complimented with some slick R&B grooves album, packed with some contemporaries and something die-hard fans can also enjoy. Essential tracks: Lollipop, Mrs Officer, Mr. Carter, Comfortable, Tie My Hands, A Milli

2. P!nk - Funhouse. The years best pop/rock album. P!nk's fifth album maybe best known for the jaunty lead single, "So What" but the album looks way deeper into P!nk the artist, rather than P!nk the somewhat crazy and carefree chick, employing moments of sentiment, rage and some beautiful balladry. Essential tracks: It's All Your Fault, So What, Glitter In The Air, Sober, Please Don't Leave Me, I Don't Believe You

3. Ne-Yo. Year of the Gentleman. After last years' Because of You, R&B superstar Ne-Yo returned with the best R&B album of the year. His third album was immaculately faultless. If I were to do the cruel thing of comparing--It's maybe not as good as Usher's masterpiece, Confessions, but sure does come close--It is better than what Usher delivered this year. Essential track: Miss Independent, Closer, Single, Mad, Why Does She Stay, Lie to Me

4. Coldplay - Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends. 2005s, X&Y was hailed upon by practically anyone who enjoys alternative music--I've never been a solid alternative fan or a Coldplay fan for that matter (although I've always liked, "Clocks" and "The Scientist"), but their fourth album has completely won me over on the genre and the band. Essenital tracks: Viva La Vida, Violet Hill, Lover's In Japan, Yes

5. Madonna - Hard Candy. Madonna's last album showed a re-installment of the pop legend, proving after 2 and a bit decades in the business, she's still got it. Hard Candy, proved it again--seeing Madonna venture in a more contemporary R&B fieled, bringing the producing talents of Pharell Williams and Timbaland. Essential tracks: 4 Minutes, Heartbeat, Miles Away, Giv It 2 Me, She's Not Me

6. Kanye West - 808s & Heartbreak. Admittedly I didn't like this album at first, but it grew on me tremendously. Kanye West really explored different wings in hip-hop--going for a more futuristic, electronic and synthesised venture. Although now I see the gold in what he did, I hope he doesn't do it again. Essential tracks: Love Lockdown, Heartless, Paranoid, Street Lights, Coldest Night

7. Duffy - Rockferry. Released at the beginning of the year, Duffy's '60s inspired outlet is very addictive. Putting together a nice mix of sentimental ballads accompanied by Duffy's frail vocals and some catchy uptempos. Essential tracks: Mercy, Delayed Devotion, Warwick Avenue, Hanging On Too Long, I'm Scared, Rockferry

8. Britney Spears - Circus. What makes Britney Spears' sixth album that much sweeter is her triumphant comeback story behind it. Last years' Blackout was a good album considering everything that took place at the time. Circus, isn't widely better and is by no means her best work--but it does prove that Spears' is still relavent after 10 years in the game. Essential tracks: Shattered Glass, Circus, Womanizer, If U Seek Amy, Out From Under, Unusual You

9. Estelle - Shine. After her debut album, The 18th Day failed to generate any success, British singer, Estelle sook the guidance of American singer, John Legend--subsequently producing this great modern contemporary album. Spawning her biggest hit to date, "American Boy" with Kanye West: Essential tracks: American Boy, Wait A Minute (Just A Touch), Come Over, Pretty Please

10. Mariah Carey - E=MC2. The Emancipation of Mimi, proved the relevancy of Mariah Carey and E=CM2 furthered on the notion. Although a very good offering from Carey, it doesn't go without its flaws--which I've learned to overlook. Essential tracks: Migrate, I Stay In Love, Touch My Body, Love Story, I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time, Bye Bye, Cruise Control, Side Effects

11. Brandy - Human. Brandy's fifth album failed to generate any commercial success as predicted, but it didn't detract from the quality, I still love it as much as I did at the beginning of the month, a fantastic R&B album. Essential tracks: The Definition, Right Here (Departed), Camouflage, Warm It Up (With Love), Long Distance, Piano Man

12. T-Pain - Thr33 Ringz. Not that different from last years' Epiphany, just a bit more distinctively innovative--making another great hip-hop/R&B album for T-Pain. Essential track: Chopped 'N' Screwed, Freeze, It Ain't Me, Keep Going, Change

13. Fall Out Boy - Folie A Duex. Fall Out Boy's fifth album didn't differ that much from their previous, Infinity on High--exploring the alternative rock/pop genre a bit more, it only edged it out a bit, still a great rock album--but not that amazing. Essential tracks: I Don't Care, 20 Dollar Nose Bleeds, What A Catch, Donnie, Coffee's For Closers, America's Suithearts

14. Kings of Leon - Only by the Night. My initial enjoyment for this album, wore off eventually but I'm dismissing the fact this is infact an amazing alternative rock album. Essential track: I Want You, Use Somebody, Sex on Fire, Revelry, Crawl, Closer

15. Beyonce - I Am... Sasha Fierce. I wasn't too adamant on 2006s, B'day--but comparing to, Sasha Fierce--I'd say It's way better. I despised Beyonce's third album at first but it grew on me, like many albums this year. Essential tracks: If I Were A Boy, Halo, Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It), Brokenhearted Girl, Radio, Ego

16. T.I. - Paper Trail. The weakest album from T.I.'s last 3 albums, but it's a good hip-hop album, proving a very enjoyable listen. Essential tracks: Live Your Life, Whatever You Like, Dead and Gone, Slide Show, Swagger Like Us

No comments: