Thursday, December 04, 2008

Blender name Lil' Wayne best of '08


Blender Magazine release their annual 33 best albums of the year, naming Lil' Wayne's The Carter III the best album of 2008 and I couldn't agree more (I'll be compiling my list soon). Looking at the list, I'm surprised to see some (I would've thought) great contenders for the top 10, not make it. Here are the highlights:

1. Lil' Wayne - The Carter III. It is the best album of the year, not just in the hip-hop genre. Lil' Wayne really pulled out all the stops on this one, even scoring his first U.S. chart topper in process ("Lollipop") followed by a string of other top 10 and 20 hits.

3. TV on the Radio - Dear Science. I read some pretty good reviews for this album and I previewed it on iTunes, I really enjoyed what I heard, but listening to the album in full never really materialized.
4. Metallica - Death Magnet. I was so adamant I was going to hear this album in full, but only ended up listening to a couple tracks. I've never been one to indulge too much in heavy metal, but I've always had a soft spot for Metallica. So I'm pretty happy to see it make the top 5.

6. Robyn - Robyn. Very pleased to see this here. Robyn's fourth (and essentially breakout) album was a brilliant dance-pop offering with a dash of R&B, definitely one of the highlights of the year for me.
10. Fall Out Boy - Folie a Duex. Just cracking the top 10 is Fall Out Boy, I wasn't planning on buying this album, despite really enjoying Fall Out Boy's last offering, Infinity on High but If it's made it this high on the list, maybe I should.

19. One of the Boys - Katy Perry. "I Kissed a Girl," was the summer hit of the year and Katy Perry's debut is one of the biggest pop albums of the year. This is a brilliant pop album.

21. Erykah Badu - New Amerykah: Pt. One (4th World War). I didn't love this album as much I loved her previous 3 albums (Baduizm, Mama's Gun and Worldwide Underground) but it wasn't too bad. Maybe a little too tame for Badu, but nonetheless glad to see it make the list.

22. Coldplay - Viva La Vida or Death and all His Friends. Probably the biggest shocker on the list. How did Coldplay end up ranking so low? Maybe I should expected it from their 3.5/5 rating for the album.
26. Usher - Here I Stand. I didn't like this album that much--especially not as much as, Confessions. Surprised to see it on here.
27. E=MC2 - Mariah Carey. I personally think this album should be higher (along with Coldplay) or at least higher than Usher. Mariah Carey's album was brilliant pop and R&B offering. No faults here.

32. Taylor Swift - Fearless. I've always been a general contry fan (I've bought stuff from Shania Twain, Rascal Flatts and Faith Hill) but Taylor Swift's new country-meets-pop approach, well really it's still pop has completely won me over on the genre.

No comments :