Monday, February 23, 2009

Singles Roundup

Here are singles reviews for songs getting their release (in the UK) in these upcoming weeks...

"Halo" Beyonce
(4/5) - I wasn't too keen on "Halo" but it's slowly starting to grow me, I still think "Broken-Hearted Girl" is its superior. Admittedly it does a very luring bassline and a catchy chorus.

"Crush" David Archuleta (4.5/5) - I was pleasantly shocked when I saw this played on The Box the other night, it seems Jive are going to promote David overseas. Sadly enough there weren't many highlights on David Archuleta's debut album, "Crush" (and "A Little To Not Over You") were pretty much it. I still love this song, I can't resist a good contemporary effort.

"If This Isn't Love" Jennifer Hudson (4/5) - At first I was excited about "If This Isn't Love" being the second single chosen from her debut album, but after seeing her remarkable performance of "You Pulled Me Through" at Grammy's --I'm wondering if that would be a better choice for a single. But either way "If This Isn't Love" is still a good song.

"T-Shirt" Shontelle (4.5/5) - I didn't jump on the Shontelle bandwagon straight away, I wasn't at all pleased that she's making music that Beyonce or Rihanna have already done in the past, but "T-Shirt" is a catchy urban number and I can't resist. Although it weren't a hit in the U.S. it's already adopted a top 10 peak in the UK.

"Dead and Gone" T.I. Feat. Justin Timberlake (4/5) - As T.I.'s jail time creeps up, he keeps on cramming these singles between now and then in. "Dead and Gone" is his most recent, it's a decent effort, it has nothing on "Live Your Life", but it's decent - the song doesn't stick as well as it should. I have yet to see the video played on any music channels.

2 comments:

ww_adh said...

The Beyonce round 3 I'd like to see: "Broken Hearted Girl" and "Radio"

J.Mensah said...

YAY! I was thinking the same thing, "Radio" was comes in close second to "Single Ladies" on the second disc. "Broken-Hearted Girl" is flawles.