Sunday, March 01, 2009

Reviews for new U2 album

New reviews emerging for U2's upcoming album No Line on the Horizon point to a very promising offering. I've been listening to cuts off 2004s How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb all day today, just to get back in that U2 phase.

Rolling Stone give the album a generous 5/5 review, calling it "their their best, in its textural exploration and tenacious melodic grip, since 1991s Achtung Baby." Rolling Stene are generally generous when it comes to rating a U2 album, but this is their first 5 star they've received from the magazine, prior to this, their highest rated album was 1983s War and 1980s debut Boy which both received 4.5.

Allmusic gives the album a harsh 3/5 despite sounding very pleased with the offering in their review. They gave How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb a 3.5, which I thought was also a tad harsh.

They're plenty more reviews from the likes of Blender, Entertainment.ie, The Observer and NME, who all sound generally pleased with the album. I'll be purchasing a copy of the album sometime next week (along with Kelly Clarkson's All I Ever Wanted).

2 comments:

ww_adh said...

My review will be up this weekend. I really like it, in fact, I've never instantly enjoyed a U2 album as much as I do this one.

J.Mensah said...

Cool! can't wait to read it... really? did you like atomic bomb?