Monday, June 27, 2011

Best Albums of 2011 So Far

It's nearly the end of the first half of the year and there aren't any key albums left to review (except for The Civil Wars debut, but I'll get to that later), so what better time to put up my list of my favorite albums of the year so far, split into genres:

Pop:

Lady Gaga's sophomore album Born This Way is probably my favorite pop album of the year so far. Perhaps, my favorite album of the year. Such thrilling and invigorating pop.

Honorable mentions: Adele's monstrously successful second album 21, which could also be my favorite album of the year, Britney Spears' seventh album Femme Fatale and Simon Curtis' RA.

Rock:

The Foo Fighters' awesome seventh album Wasting Light is my favorite rock album of the year so far. It's possibly their best album yet, rocking out just as hard as 2002's One By One.

Honourable mentions: Radiohead's eighth album The King of Limbs, another solid entry into their consistent discography. The Strokes' Angles, the joyous pop/rock of The Wombat's second album The Modern Glitch and White Lies' slightly more experimental second album Rituals.

Alternative/Indie:

British indie/rock band Elbow's second album Build a Rocket Boys! was a fantastic follow-up to 2008's critically acclaimed fourth album The Seldom Seen Kid.

Honorable mentions: The People's Key, the seventh album from American rockers Bright Eyes was a great rock album flourished with great fluorescent poppy undertones. Fleet Foxes' slightly more experimental second album' Helplessness Blues, Noah & The Whale's Last Night on Earth, Foster the People's Torches and although I haven't reviewed it yet, indie/folk duo The Civil Wars brilliant debut Baton Hallow.

R&B/soul:

What a depressing year it's been for R&B so far (or maybe I haven't been looking hard enough), however Jill Scott's seductive fourth album The Light of the Sun rises above the weak bunch of releases.

Honorable mentions: I'm stretching a little with these, but Jamie Woon's enticingly downbeat debut Mirrorwriting and American singer/song-writer Amos Lee's Mission Bell.

4 comments:

ww_adh said...

I would say that Adele and Lady Gaga are also my favorite albums of the year so far (although it's no contest which one I like best). For rock, I'd probably put The Strokes above Foo Fighters, although I do really like Foo Fighters. Also enjoyed Radiohead. Are you missing The Decemberists? I thought you were really into them.

ww_adh said...

I agree R&B hasn't had a good year yet. I was just listening to clips of Jill Scott and it sounds good. I might get it. Did you listen to Raphael Saadiq's album? I thought that was really good.

Paul said...

The Nerina Pallot album is also gorgeous, well worth a listen. Also the new feeling album is instantly one of my faves but probably because I'm so in love with them right now. A little out of the genres, but the Book of Mormon Broadway soundtrack (written by the South Park folks) is so shocking, politically incorrect and hilarious that it actually is my fave album of the year...

J.Mensah said...

wwadh: I like The Decemberists, but I didn't love the album just that one song. Who's Saadiq? never heard of him.

Paul: I'm gonna give Nerina Pallot a listen now! :) That's a nice switch up a broadway soundtrack being your favorite album of the year.