Thursday, June 25, 2009

Billboard Hot 100, 27/06/09

1. Boom Boom Pow - Black Eyed Peas
2. I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas

Black Eyed Peas continue their reign on the Hot 100 this week, occupying the top 2 slots for a second week. "Boom Boom Pow" acquires its 12th week atop the chart, whilst their latest single "I Gotta Feeling" (which I feel is now better than "Pow") remains at #2 for another week. "Feeling's" digital sales were great this week, I was so sure it was going to top the chart this week. I would love to see BEP replace themselves on here; it would be such a cool feat for them to have. "Pow's" isn't selling as well as it was a couple weeks ago and it's losing points on radio--which is why I think this could be the last week for it at #1, well hopefully anyway--I don't like the song as much as I did a few weeks back, it's all about "Feeling" now.

3. Best I Ever Had - Drake
4. Knock You Down - Keri Hilson Featuring Ne-Yo & Kanye West
5. I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho) - Pitbull
7. Fire Burning - Sean Kingston
8. Birthday Sex - Jeremih
10. Every Girl - Young Money

Just like it was back in 2003 and 2004, the Hot 100 is clogged up with R&B and Hip-Hop this week--I was wondering when this was going to happen again. The Hot 100's accompanying chart The Pop 100 (which measures and combines statical audience impressions, digital sales and single sales) was made back in 2005 to relieve this "problem" I'm still angry about to this day, is it such a sin thing to have lots of urban songs inside the top 10? I mean, would they have made such a big deal if it was only pop songs making the top 10? Anyway, Leading the pack is Canadian actor turned rapper, Aubrey Drake Graham a.k.a. Drake--releases his first mainstream single "Best I Ever Had" which rises 24 spots up this week, scoring the rapper's first top 10 and 5 single. I really like this song, I've been seeing it everywhere this week--I only checked out yesterday. Drake's last single "Replacement Girl" with Trey Songz, released back in 2007, only managed a peak at #21 on the R&B/Hip-Hop Bubbling under chart. Keri Hilson's fantastic single "Knock You Down" drops a spot to #4, but still remains bulleted, I so desperately wanted to see this at #1, but as of now it looks like that won't be happening. After scoring his highest charting single ever (peaking at #2) Cuban rapper, Pitbull falls to #5 with, "I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho) losing its bullet. I download and listened to this song a couple times last week but I'm only really loving it now--funny it's the same time it loses steem. Sean Kingston will probably never have another single that will be as big as his debut "Beautiful Girl" --his latest "Fire Burning" is nowhere near as good, but it's decent but at the speed it's going I doubt it will stay popular long enough to break the top 5. Newcomer, Jeremih falls 2 spots to #8 after peaking at #4 (scoring his first top 5) with "Birthday Sex," I actually believed this would reach #1. I was so adamant on it. Rap supergroup, Young Money Entertainment score their first top 10 with "Every Girl" in which rapper, Drake scores his second song in the top 10. Incase your wondering, Young Money Entertainment is a rap group that features Drake Lil Wayne, Jae Millz, Gudda Gudda, and Mack Maine. The group's currently preparing their debut forthcoming collaboration. It should be good.

6. LoveGame - Lady GaGa

After her performance on the Much Music Video Awards, Lady GaGa falls one spot but still bulleted at #6 with her latest US single "LoveGame."

11. Waking Up In Vegas - Katy Perry

Katy Perry remains bulleted at #11 with "Waking Up in Vegas" which only cracked the top 10 once since its release on the chart 8 weeks ago. Normally (well telling from "I Kissed A Girl" and "Hot N Cold") Perry's singles always shoot up the chart--whats going on with "Vegas." Really, it's nothing that different from "Hot N Cold" or is that the problem?

16. You Belong With Me - Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift continues her re-rise back up the chart with her newest single "You Belong With Me" which got its boost due to last weeks performance at CMT Awards. It's orignal peak was #12, but can it go higher? Whilst I really like it, it's not "Love Story" unfortunately.

31. Battlefieled - Jordin Sparks

Jordin Sparks receives another boost, her new single "Battlefield" rises a solid 20 spots this week. This song deserves to be a hit.

32. You're A Jerk - New Boyz

What the hell is this? I previewed this on iTunes last week and listened in full on YouTube and I was disgusted. I like hip-hop (of all sorts) but this is really taking the mick. Tuneless, lyrically illiterate, retardedly repetitive. I don't like how you can throw a "boom, tap" beat over some casual speaking and can call yourself a rapper. How this earned a top 40 debut is beyond me

44. Ego - Beyonce

Beyonce's new single "Ego" is currently on the rise, just breaking into the top 50. A top 40 is certain for next week.

No comments: