Thursday, June 18, 2009

New music I'm listening to

Mama Do - Pixie Lotts. I don't review the UK singles chart anymore, but it's really been a great source for great new music for me lately. This weeks chart topper, Pixie Lott's, "Mama Do" is a great Duffy-styled pop song and Lott's isn't bad herself. I heard the song last month but didn't really pay attention. Sometimes I feel I'm very unappreciative of the music my country serves up. "Mama Do," now that I think about it, reminds of former S Club 7 member's, Rachel Steven's "LA Ex."



New in Town - Little Boots. Why didn't I listen to Ken? Newcomer, Little Boots' debut single is a fantastic pop song with a killer chorus. I've never been one to ride on hype, which would probably explain why I ignored this for awhile--but it's probably one of my biggest mistakes. Little Boots completely rocks.



Release Me - Agnes. I ordered an import of her album, Love Dance Pop (check out ww_adh's pretty awesome review) and I'm loving it. "Release Me," I've been listening to for awhile and it's an killer song. Sweden artists are brilliant when it comes to good o' dance-pop (see: Robyn, "With Every Heartbeat"). Another song I think people should start getting into is, "On & On" which shares just about the same brilliance as, "Release Me."



When Love Takes Over - David Guetta Featuring Kelly Rowland. French DJ, David Guetta teams up former Destiny's Child member, Kelly Rowland for this classic, trancy piano key aligned--heavy dance-pop number. I've never been a fan of songs like these --I've only liked a few over the years and if I could remember which ones they were I would note them down-- but this pretty appealing, I love it.



Untouched - Veronicas. Gosh, they're so adorable. Australian twins, Veronicas' European debut, "Untouched" is essentially a fantastic violin backed, pop-rock number, employing a great haunting element with brilliant chorus--which compliments the creatively structured verses. I also love the electronic guitar in the mid-section.



Paparazzi - Lady GaGa. It seems Lady GaGa can do no wrong. "Paparazzi," could well be her third UK #1. I've loved this song ever since purchasing her album back at the start of the year. A smooth mid-tempo pop song.



Sugar - Flo Rida Featuring Wynter Gordon. I don't like it when I really get into a song way before it gets released in the UK, then it just sounds overplayed to me. Thankfully, that's not the case with the new Flo Rida single, "Sugar." I love it just as much as I did months ago.



Knock You Down - Keri Hilson Featuring Kanye West & Ne-Yo. I think I've talked about this enough. I think Keri Hilson's new single is just brilliance (109 listens and counting).



I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho) - Pitbull. Newest reader of the Billboard Files, rcLoy made me want to give this a chance. It's not bad, the only thing I've heard of Pitbull was, "Go Girl" with Trina and Young Bo$$. The song is doing incredibly well in the States, currently at #2 on the Hot 100.



If Today Was Your Last Day - Nickelback. I was listening to this a lot last year too. A nice rock ballad from Nickelback.

5 comments:

rcLoy said...

I just want to say...
You have a great taste in music.. LOL.. cos we listen almost to the same thing...
I personally prefer Stuck on Repeat more than New In Town. LOL

Release Me is so good. Its sounds like a #1 song all over it but sadly not there yet.

J.Mensah said...

why thank you! :)

ooh! "Stuck on Repeat" is brilliant, also :)

ww_adh said...

I like a lot of these too, particularly New in Town, Knock You Down, and Mama Do. Oh, and Release Me, Paparazzi and When Love Takes Over.

J.Mensah said...

I'm not seeing much love for Pitbull or Flo Rida, lol.

ww_adh said...

The Pitbull song is growning on me. I'm tired of Sugar though. It was fun for like 5 minutes but then the "Blue (Da Ba Dee)" thing got really old.