Sunday, July 12, 2009

Jack Johnson - Sleep through the Static (2008)


Last night I listened to Jack Johnson's fourth album Sleep through the Static, as recommend by the iTunes genius feature. Recently, I've gotten into similar-ish artists such as Nora Jones, Jason Mraz and Colbie Cailliat, who are all pretty big on incorporating acoustics into their music. What started off my love for acoustic styled music was John Mayer's third album Continuum, which was possibly the best album of 2006--winning two Grammy's for Best Pop Vocal Album and Best Male Pop Vocal Performance. I'd already heard about Sleep through the Static, before, It's actually quite a good album, conjuring up a slick and consistent set of mostly string, drum and the occasional piano set of compositions. I like the heavily drum backed "They Don't, They Don't," and the melodic "Monsoon." The slow but compelling opening track "All at Once," is also a favorite. Maybe It's not as good as Contiunuum, but it is in its own right. I'll be checking out his previous 3 albums Bushfire Fairytales, On and On and In Between Dreams, soon.

1 comment:

goldflop rakeback said...

Jack Johnson writes some of the most amazing songs. He is truly in a class of his own, and its nearly impossible to be in a bad mood while you listen to his melodic voice. I cant wait for his new album, because Sleep Through The Static was great!