Friday, July 03, 2009

New music I'm listening to...



Funhouse - P!nk. Australia and New Zealand get"Bad Influence" but the rest of the world gets "Funhouse" the title track from P!nk's most recent album, Funhouse. I loved it when I first heard it on the album and after a couple months of not that many listens, I love it even more now. After the great but depressing "Sober" this is a nice uptempo number. A song that could've have also been considered for release is "It's All Your Fault" which I've mentioned many times; I still think it's a brilliant song.

Bulletproof - La Roux. After the fantastic "In for the Kill" British electropop duo follow up nicely with "Bulletproof" which tops the singles chart this week. Carrying a brilliant 80's pop influence, pounding with synth; I should be checking out their debut album very soon.

Hearbreak (Make Me a Dancer) - Freemasons & Sophie Ellis Baxtor. It's very nice to see Sophie Ellis Baxtor back onto the music scene again. Her 2007 attempt at a comeback wasn't quite the comeback I'd hoped for. Loving her ealier singles ("Take Me Home," "Get Over You" and "Murder on the Dancefloor") the new "Heartbreak (Make Me a Dancer)" is just perfect; great, upbeat electropop. Freemasons' always make the best dancepop songs and remixes, they worked their magic on Kelly Rowland's "Work" and Beyonce's "Green Light" and "Beautiful Lair" with Shakira.

Raindrops - Basement Jaxx. I've never really been a fan of Basement Jaxx, the only songs I've really got into by the duo are ("Where's Your Head At," "Oh My Gosh" and "Hush Boy") "Raindrops" is a fantastic dancepop song. It's the first time in 3 years I've payed attention to any of their singles.

Beautiful - Eminem. I recently discovered Eminem's "Beautiful" was going to become a single soon and I couldn't be happier, taken from his somewhat lackluster comeback album, Relapse, this is indeed the albums best track, probably his best song in years (although "We Made You" wasn't bad). Whilst "Beautiful" is indeed a brilliant song, it's still no "Stan" or "Cleaning Out My Closet" I hope Eminem can pull another one of them out of the bag in the future.

Best I Ever Had - Drake. My friend has been pestering me to check out this song for some time now. The reason I did eventually give this a chance is because it's doing so well in the US right now. A smooth R&B-Hip-Hop number, nothing I haven't heard before really, but I'm liking it anyway. The desperately X-rated music video is also a plus.

Ego - Beyonce. Beyonce's new single "Ego" is definitely a gem. A nice piano, bass and click backed number, sounding only a tad gospel. I also love the trumpets embedded in the song. Well that's everything that's needed to be said about the song -- the only thing is the questionable chorus ("It's too big, it's to wide, it's to strong, it won't fit, it's much, it's tough") I'll be damned if I'll be tricked into believing she's talking about an "ego" and not something much more controversial.

Obsessed - Mariah Carey. Still loving the latest from Mariah, "Obsessed;" pounding over a light Tricky & The Dream produced track, is still captivating my attention. I still give credit for the hilarious lyrics. I can't wait for the video, I hear Mariah is going to be quite the masculine.

I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas. The new Black Eyed Peas song, "I Gotta Feeling" has only started reveing airplay in the UK -- I wonder if it can acheive the same duplicate success as "Boom Boom Pow" did in the US and the UK. I've listening to his for awhile now and I'm still loving it.

LoveGame - Lady GaGa. I'm more likely to be hearing this on my iPod rather than on the radio, as "LoveGame" has been chosen as an outside Europe only single (supposedly due to the popular "controversial" lyric: "lets have some fun this beat is sicks, I wanna take a ride on your disco stick) while I've given endless praise to "Paparazzi" I kinda prefer "LoveGame" I've always been known to want what I can't have.

New Divide - Linkin' Park. I'm seeing the new Transformer's movie this week end and this had completely got me hyped up for it. Linkin' Park's "New Divide" rages with a heavy rock base, definately more angrier than most of the more light stuff on their 2007 album, Minutes to Midnight.

Radar - Britney Spears. I just saw the new Britney video to "Radar" and for the most part I think it sucks, however I still love the song after almost 3 years I still think it's a fantastic song. I hope it performs better than "If U Seek Amy" did.

D.O.A. (Death of Autotune) - Jay Z. As predicted Jay-Z churns out another stellar track, can this man do no wrong? "D.O.A." takes a shot at artist overusing the autotune effect on their work. With lyrics like ("I know we're in a recession, but all the music your making will make it a depression") proving, essntially he is among the few rappers left with something paramount to say. I'm patenitally awaiting his forthcoming album, The Blueprint 3.

No Surprise - Daughtry. Another album I'm patentally waiting are rock band, Daughtry's sophomore album, Leave this Town (which finds its release July 14.) The current single "No Surprise" makes the forthcoming effort sound very promising.

Work - Ciara Featuring Missy Elliot. I didn't like this song upon initial listens to Ciara's third album, Fantasy Ride -- but ever since the video come out, the single "Work" has grown on me a lot. A great party starter, Missy Elliot also puts in come good, catchy lyrics too.

So Fine - Sean Paul. Jamiacan rapper, Sean Paul has made some great raggae and hip-hop inspired numbers in the past ("Get Busy" and "Gimme the Light") his latest "So Fine" falls a tad short, but I like the raggae and snyth combo. It's surprisingly doing well on top 40 radio too.

4 comments:

ww_adh said...

"Funhouse" is good, although I do prefer "Bad Influence." Maybe she'll get a fifth single (her last album did). I'm really into La Roux. The album is fantastic. I kind of like "I Gotta Feeling," but I suspect I'll be tired of it soon.

J.Mensah said...

Hmmm... "BI" is good too.

Do you like the new Moby album?

rcLoy said...

Ah, apart from Sophie, La Roux and Gaga, which I totally digs. The rest seems a bit same old same old or just not exciting enough.
Oh, Who Knew by P!nk gotta be her best single ever. My fav.

ww_adh said...

Yes, I like the new Moby album a lot. I've always preferred his more atmospheric songs to his dance stuff, so this is right up my alley.