Thursday, August 06, 2009

Billboard Hot 100, 17/8/09

1. I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas

After ending the 12 week run of "Boom Boom Pow," "I Gotta Feeling" extends its run at #1 to 6 week. Last week, Black Eyed Peas became the fourth band in Hot 100 history to replace themselves at #1, following Boyz II Men ("I'll Make Love to You" and "On Bended Knee") Outkast ("Hey Ya!" and "The Way You Move") and The Beatles, but they are the first in the digital age to accomplish this.

3. You Belong With Me - Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me" earns the airplay gainer award as it rises back up to #3--as the rath of BEPs "I Gotta Feeling" begins to wear off, I wonder if Swift can go all the way and earn her first #1. It's not a long shot.

4. Knock You Down - Keri Hilson
5. Use Somebody - Kings of Leon

Keri Hilson has a 6th non consecutive stay at #4, this week it falls a notch from #3, it's not bulleted--I fear it could suffer a drop out of the top 5 next week. Kings of Leon stay bulleted at #5.

6. Down - Jay Sean Featuring Lil' Wayne

I haven't heard this yet, but it always makes me happy when a UK artist experiences commercial success in the US (Leona, Duffy, Amy, Craig ect...). Singed to Lil' Wayne's Cash Money Records, Sean puts out his first US single "Down" which this week rises a whopping 26 spots up the chart, landing at #6--earning Sean his first top 10 single and the digital gainer award. This is being received so well, I'm gonna check it out soon. Sean first captured my attention with his second UK single "Eyes on You" which became his first hit--who knew he would've amounted to such success today. Maybe he'll be the Craig David of the 2010s--which won't be good news when that decades nearly over.

10. Good Girls Go Bad - Cobra Starship Featuring Leighton Meester

Pop/punk band, Cobra Starship score their first top 10 with "Good Girls Go Bad" the first single from their third album, Hot Mess. Leighton Meester, known as Blair Waldorf in the US TV show, Gossip Girl, also scores her first top 10.

14. Obsessed - Mariah Carey

Mariah Carey keeps climbing with "Obsessed" -- she rises 3 spots up from last week, could the Eminem (pretty pathetic) diss be helping? Carey also earns her 29th appearence on the Pop Songs/Top 40 Mainstream chart, making her the most artist with the most appearnces within its 17 year run. She leads other artists suc as Madonna, Britney Spears, Janet Jackson and Nelly.

15. Hotel Room Serivce - Pitbull

"I Know You Want Me" proved a success for Pitbull, he follows it up with "Hotel Room Service" which scores the rapper his second top 20.

21. She Wolf - Shakria

God I love this song (and the video). Shakira's so goddam hot! "She Wolf" receives a digital boost, it rises 41-21.

29. Remember Me - T.I. Featuring Mary J. Blige

Even in jail T.I. manages to impact the charts, this week his new single with "Mary J. Blige" debuts at #29. I really love this song.

No comments: