Sunday, August 02, 2009

New Music Releases - September

August seems to be a very quiet month for new album releases, with only a couple notable albums I'm really looking forward to, lets take a lengthy look at what September has to offer, it could just be the most exiting month for music of the year.

September


















Whitney Houston - I Look to You (1/9) After 7 years of continuous declining, Whitney Houston--one of the most influential voices in music--is finally releasing her 7th studio album. So far we've heard 2 ballads from the set "I Didn't Know My Own Strength" and "I Look to You" which are both good ballads, but don't exactly amount to a promising album, but let's hope the body of work will be solid. Houston's last album, 2002s Just Whitney, was considered a disappointment--but I liked it. I Look to You, is fueled by a start studded lineup of songwriters and producers; Alicia Keys, Ne-Yo, R. Kelly, Dianne Warren and David Foster who's previously and famously produced hits for Houston off The Bodyguard Soundtrack. Overall, so far this is the album I'm most excited about.

Amerie - In Love & War (8/9) It's a new start for R&B singer, Amerie. Recently signing a deal with Island Def Jam, she's ready to release her fourth album, In Love & War. Her last album, Because I Love It, was actually pretty good, it spawned 2 UK top 40 singles, including "Take Control" which scored her second top 10, but the latter failed to connect with commercial success. The lead single from the upcoming album, "Why R U" has yet to become a hit.

Polvo - In Prism (8/9) American Indie rock band, Polvo return with their fifth album. It's actually their first album since 1997. What a wait! It's yet to spawn any singles, but the track "Beggar's Bowl" is available to stream here.

Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II (8/9) East coast rapper, Raekwon returns with his fourth album (a whopping 24 track set) featuring singles "New Wu" and "House Of Flying Daggers."

Boys Like Girls - Love Drunk (8/9) Pop/rock band are back with their second album, Love Drunk. I've yet to check out their first, but for now all I've got to go on is the albums lead single "Love Drunk" which I think is fantastic. It scored the band their highest charting single on the Hot 100, peaking at #22.

Jay-Z - The Blueprint 3 (11/9) My favorite rapper of all time returns with his eleventh album, The Blueprint 3, the third installment in the, Blueprint series. I've been waiting so long for this album, it's actually quite sickening. Jay-Z's last album, American Gangster, was just another fantastic album from the rapper. It didn't score any notable hits, apart from "Roc Boys (And the Winner Is...)" which became a moderate hit in the US, but I didn't particular care. So far we've only heard the lead statement ladened single "D.O.A. (Death to auto-tune)" and the new single "Run this Town." Both songs making up for a very promising album. A couple acts to be collaboraters on the album are rock band, MGMT, Kid Cudi, Drake and Rihanna. I can't wait for this.

Muse - The Resistance (14/9) Ever since I bought the Twilight soundtrack, I've had a sudden Muse kick, their single "Supermassive Black Hole" has become among the most played in my iTunes and I've also checked out and loved some of their other stuff, notable from their last album, Black Holes & Revelations. Lead single "Uprising" is due September 7.

Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon: The End of Day (15/9) I was very excited about Kid Cudi's debut album initially, I loved the single "Day 'n' Night" which became a UK and US smash, but the second single "Make Her Stay" Featuring Kanye West and Common failed to impress me, which makes me a tad weary about how solid this album is going to be, either way I suspect this should be an interesting listen.



















Mariah Carey - Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel (15/9) Another album I'm very excited for. Mariah Carey's last album, E=MC2, left very mixed feelings. I loved it for the most part but didn't feel it was good as 2005s comeback, The Emancipation of Mimi. Whether Mariah's eleventh album is going to be as good as, Mimi, is highly questionable, but telling from its lead single "Obsessed" I doubt it's going to be anything dreadful. Carey has said there will be some "big ballads" on the album and some, Butterfly, reminiscent. If this is true then I really can't wait to hear this.

Editors - In This Light and On This Evening (21/9) Birmingham based, indie rock band return with their third album. First single "Papillon" should be out soon.

Mika - We Are Golden (21/9) Pop singer, Mika returns with his second album. I really liked his first, Life In Cartoon Motion--especially the single "Happy Ending" the album wasn't as well received as I think it should've been. The album features first single "We Are Golden."

Christina Aguilera - Light & Darkenss (25/9) 3 years later and Christina Aguilera is ready to release her fourth album. The last time Aguilera was in the spotlight she was promoting her first Greatest Hits album, which spawned the single "Keeps Gettin' Better" whilst other artists are succeeding with the whole electronic movement, its just not working for her. If this new album is anything like "Keeps Gettin' Better" (which I'm pretty sure it is) I'm really not interested. Now a married mother of 1, a return to her, Stripped days is out of the question.

















Madonna - Celebration (Greatest Hits)
(28/9) Madonna prepares to release her third greatest hits album. It follows 1990s The Immaculate Collection and 2001s GHV2 (which my mum owns). The lead single "Celebration" is available for purchase on iTunes. It's not bad. I think is going to be the first Madonna album (and first greatest hits collection) I've bought in awhile. I've never really been a fan of these; by the time a favorite artist of mine has released a greatest hits album, I've already bought all of their albums--but I'll make the exception for Madonna.

50 Cent - Before I Self Destruct (29/9) There were rumors that the new 50 Cent album would face head-to-head competition with Jay-Z. De ja vu anyone? (Kanye vs. 50). It looks like that rumor has been scrapped. Whilst I don't appreciated tacky marketing, I'll always be a fan of 50 Cent. Before I Self Destruct, has already spawned 3 singles (including "Get Up" from last year) and it hasn't even been released yet. The title 50 Cent says, it was inspired by my beloved Britney. Should we expect a cover of "Baby One More Time"?

















Paramore - Brand New Eyes (29/9) I love Paramore! It seems like such a long time ago, they their released second; breakthrough album, Riot!, but it was only back in 2007. It became a commercial success for the band, giving the band their first million seller in the US--it also sold 3 million copies worldwide. It spawned many singles, my favorite being "Misery Business" which became their highest charting single in the US. This is the second act I've gotten into because of the Twilight soundtrack, the first song I heard of them was "Decode" which was chosen as a single from the soundtrack. I can't wait to hear this.

Also:

Chris Young - The MMan I Want to Be (1/9)
Slipnot - Slipnot (10th Anniversary Edition) (9/9)
Nelly Furtado - Mi Plan (15/9)
Pearl Jam - Backspacer (20/9)
Sean Kingston - Tomorrow (22/9)
Crash Love - AFI (29/9)
Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue (29/9)
Bowling for Soup - Sorry for Partyin' (TBD)

No comments: