Friday, August 14, 2009

Preview Whitney Houston's I Look to You


Amazon have put up previews of the new Whitney Houston album. Preview it here. Here are some of my first impressions of the tracks...

1. "Million Dollar Bill". The second single. A nice '70s vibe, still think it sounds a bit dated.
2. "Nothing But Love". A pacing light Danja produced R&B track, sounds nice.
3. "Call You Tonight". A Ne-Yo-ish styled R&B track, produced by Stargate not bad.
4. "I Look to You". The first single and the first ballad--It's not the highlight from what I can tell, but I still think it's a pretty fine ballad.
5. "Like I Never Left" (with Akon). The chorus is fantastic. A nice handclap and tamborine venture. This is an instant winner.
6. "A Song for You". Another piano laced ballad, more dramatic than the title track. Whitney sounds awesome.
7. "I Didn't Know My Own Strength". Another ballad, not as good as the other 2 but still decent.
8. "Worth It". Another instant favorite. A Toni Braxton styled track, produced by Eric Hudson.
9. "For the Lovers". This hasn't won me over, from what I'm hearing it sounds bland but it could be a grower.
10. "I Got You". A dramatic mid-paced R&B track, very nice.
11. "Salute". Sounds a like "Like I Never Left" with a bit more bass. It's not bad.

This sounds very promising, Whitney's best album? probably not and I wasn't expecting it to be. I can't wait to hear it in full.

2 comments:

ww_adh said...

Thanks for the heads up about this. I think "Million Dollar Bill" sounds awesome, as does "A Song for You." "Like I Never Left" sounds good too. Overall, it seems like the album is mostly ballads. I wish there was more uptempo stuff.

J.Mensah said...

Me too!

But, I can't wait to hear "Never Left" and "Song for You" in full.