Monday, September 28, 2009

Reviews for Mariah's Memoirs looking strong


Reviews are in for Mariah Carey's new album, Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel, which arrives in stores tommorow and their looking pretty good. This was one I was automatically going to get despite reviews, but now I want it even more.

Allmusic (my favorite source for album reviews) give the album a 3.5, calling it a "genuine pop thrill," choosing the two singles "Obessed" and Foreginers cover "I Want to Know What Love Is" as track picks. They also note "H.A.T.E.U." one of my favorites on the album thus far. It seems they like it more than last years' E=MC2, which landed a 3 out of 5 rating.

LA Times give the album a 2.5 out of 4, calling it "an experiment that illuminates her place in the pantheon," they note on the breathiness of the album, which doesn't only elude a sexy element but a more emotive one, which I picked up on too. Another interesting comment: "Her ability, even when she's scaling vocal heights, to still come off as just another girl at the nail salon."

The Times aren't too impressed, giving the album a 2 out of 5. Weirdly their review doesn't seem as bitter as the rating.

I've been listening to the album since yesterday and I'm widely impressed, possibly her best since, Butterfly, (no offence to Mimi). The slick, piano laden "Inseperable" and the whimsical slow jam "H.A.T.E.U." are my current favorites. Review on the way.

8 comments:

Mel said...

I had absolutely no interest in this after "Obsessed". But if you think it's better than "Mimi" then maybe I'll take a whirl?

ww_adh said...

I listened to it a lot today, and I'm disappointed. I think the first few and last couple songs are good and the rest are bland.

J.Mensah said...

Mel - I may have been going a little far saying it's better than Mimi (call it a heat of the moment thing) I think it's aimed at a more of a R&B/Soul fans.

ww_adh - Dissapointed? :( =[

ww_adh said...

Yes, it's definitely more R&B. I miss the retro stuff that made the last two albums really fun.

Paul said...

Some of the song titles put me off a bit but I'm having another listen today and may do a review later in the week. Wonder how it will chart?

Paul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J.Mensah said...

Paul, I had the same feeling when I saw the title "Candy Bling" lol. I think it's a shoo in for #1.

J.Mensah said...

...well in the US in anyway.