Friday, September 18, 2009

The Veronicas' Hook Me Up

I've been listening to Australian duo, The Veronicas' second album, Hook Me Up, for the last couple of weeks--stemming from my interest in their dramatic breakout single "Untouched" (which landed their first top 10 in the UK and first top 20 in the US.) I haven't been this into an album for awhile. Hook Me Up, thrives on anger and heartbreak measured with a bold set of darkening, Avril Lavgine esque songs. The vengeful "Revenge Is Sweeter (Than You Ever Were)" is currently my favorite on here. "This Is How It Feels," arguably the darkest song on the album, pulses with bold synths, an eerie electronic guitar and not to mention the impassioned lyrics. "Somebody Wake Me Up" is lighter, but still stems from the same resentful vein. They do however let up on songs such as the confident, electronic influenced "Popular" and the sexually driven "Take Me On the Floor." A repackaged version of the album arrives in the UK October 5, featuring the single "4Ever" which was included on their first album.

2 comments:

Mel said...

That was one of my absolute favorite albums that came out in '08. I luckily got my hands on an advance copy when it was released in Australia, and it was released in the USA a million months later, and then in the UK a million months after that. Despite the fact that they should be moving on to new material by now, the album definitely still holds up.

J.Mensah said...

I love this album so much--partly because I can relate so much to most of the lyrics. Mel howcomes they're messing with the release dates :( it's crazy, in all faireness the album should be in the UK by now, I read the US only got it a couple months ago.

I can't wait to hear the new material, seriously they're my new favorite girls (behind my beloved britney :)