Saturday, October 24, 2009

Album Review: The Twilight Saga: New Moon Soundtrack (4/5)


As a fan of the whole Twilight epidemic, I should really have saw the movie first before reviewing its accompanying soundtrack--but at such an affordable price on iTunes, I couldn't resist and with the release date being more than a month away, waiting isn't a logical decision for me. It's such a rare case (well, for me anyway) to love a movie's soundtrack more than the movie itself (the only other case we're its happened is Whitney Houston's The Bodyguard).

I absolutely loved the first Twilight soundtrack and even though not every single song was an instant winner, I eventually drew to them. Haunting, mysterious and refreshing would be just a few of the bunch of words I would use to describe the album featuring knockouts such as Muse's electronic studded oepener, "Supermassive Black Hole," and Paramore's restrained rock influenced, tension builder "Decode." More winners included closing track "Bella's Lullaby," which featured the most beautiful and atmospheric orchestration, incorporating angelic piano keys, soaring violins, flutes and harps and Robert Pattison (who plays love interest and vampire Edward Cullen) delivered two nice acoustic numbers, "Never Think" and "Let Me Sign."

Now onto its follow up, the New Moon soundtrack. As expected, it seems they've used the classic 'If it's not broken, don't fix it' technique--the album is pretty much compromises the same formula as the first, a winning blend of dark rock and alternative--which should ultimately conjure up the paramount emotion found in the movie. The album overall isn't as consistent as the first, nor is it as cohesive but still delivers a handful of highlights, which are scattered around through the album. Firstly, the Killers' "A White Demon Love Song," was an instant knockout. A darkening aligned piano, string and drum affair, fairly more upbeat is Muse's "I Belong to You," which can be found on their latest album, The Resistance, only its been remixed for this album--it sounds even more poppier than it did on their album. I still love the haunting vocal work in some parts a nice contrast to the jaunty chorus and verses.

I love the static, slightly dreary, acoustic sound in Grizzly Bear's "Slow Life," featuring Victoria Legrand. The Editors deliver a fantastic, dark operatic slow burner "No Sound But the Wind." More good ones are Death Cab for Cutie's slightly Coldplay-ish "Meet Me On the Equinx," another favorite is Band of Skulls' electronically cheerful, "Friends," and Anya Marine's acoustically subtle, "Satellite Heart." There's a couple other ones I quite liked, but there's only so much you can take in from a lengthy 15 track set. Closing track, "New Moon (The Meadhow)" composed by Alexandre Desplat, I guess its a follow up to "Bella's Lullaby," its not as compelling, but it's not bad. In a nutshell: The New Moon soundtrack definitely followed up well, maybe not as strongly as I was hoping but still very good. I can't wait to see the movie and how each song evokes emotion within each scene.

Best: A White Demon Love Song, I Belong to You, Slow Life, No Sound But the Wind, Satellite Heart, Shooting the Moon, New Moon (The Meadow)

2 comments:

Paul said...

I have no desire to see the movie (I fell out of love with the books as quickly as I fell in love with them) but the Killers track is MONSTER!

J.Mensah said...

Not a fan anymore huh? =[ but yeah the Killer track is absolutely brilliant!