Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Metacritic's Best Reviewed Albums of the Year, so far

I'm still looking Metacritic's best (and worst) reviewed albums of the year so far. I'm very intrigued by the list as I never knew there was such a list before. Looks like an awesome way to find new "critically acclaimed" albums, I hadn't heard of before.

Here's a quick run through of albums I selected from the list and previewed on iTunes and thoughts (yes, I did choose by how interesting the cover was):

1. Janelle Monae - The ArcAndroid (Suits II & III). Love this album! Very pleased to see it so high, will probably be very high on my end of year list too.

2. Ali Farka Toure And Toumani Diabate - Ali & Toumani. I'm not sure weather to be surprised to see this so high. It's world music, which I'm not into at all. The clips on iTunes don't sound too interesting either.

3. Laurie Anderson - Homeland. Topical album about politics. Strange arrangements, with weird afro-centric sounds. I don't get it. Either I'm too young to be listening or it's a tad overrated.

5. Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma. Showcases a dizzying clash of electronica, sci-fi inspired soundscapes, it's ear-piercing and it works. Needs a closer listen.

7. The Roots - How I Got Over. Reviewed this a couple days ago. Stunning hip-hop album, will defiantly be very high on my end of year list.

9. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis. Intense heavy metal. Angry head-banging clashes of drums, electronic guitars and screamo. The fifth track "Endless Endings" is nuts. I like a bit of rock--heavy even, but it's not really my thing.

11. The National - High Violet. Another one I reviewed. I gave it a 4, but it's one I'm loving more and more with every listen.

12. Sam Amidon - I See the Sign. Very folk/country, made more interesting by covering R. Kelly's "Relief." I like this album a lot, one I want to listen to closer.

13. LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening. Ww_Adh didn't like this album much, he only gave it a 2.5 but I'm really liking the previews. I've never been interested in the band before.

14. Sliegh Bells - Treats. Showcasing tough electro-studded rock. It's pretty noisy but I feel I need to listen to this closer.

15. Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Part Two: Return of the Ankh. I didn't her the last album much, the prequal to this one so I didn't feel I had much obligation to listen to this one however I think I should re-think that.

27. Brother - Black Keys. It's produced by Danger Mouse, it sounds interesting. Another I might buy.

30. Laura Marling - I Speak Because I Can. My friend owns this album, I've been wanting to get around to listening to this but haven't had the time yet.

32. Teenage Fanclub - Shadows. Strong alternative rock. I want to hear more. It looks like my end of year list just got a little more interesting.

Worst reviewed of the year:

Most of these really did suck and were particularly disappointing--some were unfortunate disappointments:

1. Lil' Wayne - Rebirth. A pretty abysmal flop of a hip-hop meets rock album.
6. Kesha - Animal. Well...
10. Christina Aguilera - Bionic. "You Lost Me," is an amazing cut from that album however there weren't many more.

5 comments:

ww_adh said...

Metacritic is great. It's what led me to Janelle Monae.

Paul said...

clearly i have no taste :( None of my fave albums are on there...

Mel said...

Ditto Paul. Hurumph. Audio snobs.

That being said -- I hope you feel sufficiently awful for picking on Xtina now that she has announced her divorce. ::glare::

J.Mensah said...

None of the albums I liked were on there too, but I still think it's an awesome list for new music, spreading out comfort zones a bit and look at Mel, commenting like it's her normal thing to do, must be the excitement of her radio show tonight. :)

rcLoy said...

None of my faves is up there too eventho I quite dig The National. Eh?