Saturday, November 21, 2009

End of Year/Decade lists


I thought I had successfully compiled all the best/my favorite albums of this decade into a solid top 50 last week, when I started planning the list--until I scanned through google, searching for the most popular albums tipped to top most end of decade lists in December and the album that came up most was The Stroke's first album, Is This It, released back in 2001. I've never gave the album a fair listen as I've only really started listening to alternative rock-influenced music this year and a good part of last.

It received a 5 out of 5 rating from Allmusic and Q Magazine. A 10 out of 10 from NME, and takes the top spot for their end of year list so I guess to say Is This It was a universally acclaimed album would be an understatement.

I bought the album today from iTunes and gave it a close listen and taking note to its back-story, no sooner than track 5, the exuberant "Someday" (which I had loved prior) did it click, why it's possibly the most acclaimed album of the decade. It's going to take some serious horizon expanding to appreciate this in its entirety, but I'm willing to make the sacrifice.

6 comments:

Paul said...

I don't think I will have the time or research energy to do a greatest hits of the decade. I'm struggling to remember what I like in May :P Still i DO look forward to reading other peoples views :)

rcLoy said...

Now I feel like listening to that album because of this since I only know them by their song Juicebox which is catchy as hell with a quirky video to boot.

J.Mensah said...

Paul, It is a real energy drainer. I think I should make a start in actually compiling the list before it's too late. I can't wait to see other peoples views either! =]

Loy, Ooh! I remember that song! I didn't get the video, all I remember is some girl trying to anal another girl over a balcony :S

ww_adh said...

I'm working on my top 100 albums of the decade list. It is hard. The top 40 or so is pretty easy, but after that the decision to say have something in the 60s vs. the 70s seems fairly trivial.

Nikki said...

Greatest hits of the DECADE!?!? I'll get to that when I have the time. But definitely not this year.

J.Mensah said...

It's becoming so obvious how stessful and life-interferring(sp?) doing a big list like that can be :/