Monday, January 18, 2010

Songs of My Lifetime: "The Roof" - Mariah Carey (1997)


The Roof (1997)
Written By Mariah Carey, Jean Claude Oliver, Samuel Barnes, Cory Rooney, Albert Johnson and Kejuan Waliek Muchita

I got this idea from ww_adh. Mariah Carey's seventh album Butterfly is one of those albums that aren't perfect (there are at least four tracks I don't listen to) but still love dearly and would definitely bestow as her best. Today I re-discovered the enchanting "The Roof," on my iPod on the way home from school, the fourth track from the album depicting a romantic encounter on a roof-top as Mariah effectively cooes over a brilliantly composed downbeat, urban-shadowed arrangement aligned with an emphatic '90s influenced hip-hop bass line.

Mariah is often snubbed when it comes to her songwriting, Butterfly had some great lyrics, none more so illustrated than on this track ("I only wanted you to taste my sadness as you kissed me in the dark"). The chorus may be at bit excessive but flawlessly tells her story sporting an emotive brisk and rather quiet vocal which ultimately adds to the effective eeriness of the song; one of the few times where her singing through the nose isn't annoying and works well. I've always admired her deep and intricate lyrics as she displays so wonderfully on the second verse poetically describing her encounter ("And then you softly pressed your lips to mine, and feelings surfaced I'd suppressed for such a long long time").

I haven't been alive that long but there's boat-loads of songs that have touched or moved me in one wat or abother (in fact I was only 3 when this came out), Butterfly is special as there's at least five songs on there that trigger my thoughts upon each listen, including ballads "Outside," "Close My Eyes," and "Butterfly," the awesome collaboration with Bone Thungs n Harmony on "Breakdown" and "Babydoll."

3 comments:

Mel said...

Great idea - I agree wholeheartedly. Although, I prefer "Close My Eyes" just a shade more. :)

ww_adh said...

I need to revisit this feature, as I haven't written one for awhile. Since I'm doing the 1990 thing this year, I'll definitely have to pick some songs from that year that were really meaningful.

"The Roof" has a dark edge to it. It's an interesting song, and I like how you describe its sound. "Butterfly" is probably my favorite song from this album. For some reason, It makes me think of flying in an airplane in Europe. In fact, for personal cheese factor, I think I once listened to that song during a takeoff (a no-no in the US, but I guess it was allowed wherever I was--probably France or Britain).

Paul said...

The Butterfly album was the first album of Mariah's that I didn't fully connect with and play to death! Until then, I had been insanely obsessed with her music!! To be fair, I still loved the album but it just wasn't as amazing as I'd found her others and (along with Whitney and Janet at around about the same time) meant my love affair slipped into more of a casual acquaintanceship!! Whenever you call is stunning though :)