Thursday, November 11, 2010

Previewing Rihanna's Loud


While the rest of the UK lose their minds over the new Take That album, I've been listening to the new Rihanna album Loud. A happier, frothier and less topical mix of dance-pop, R&B with sexual undertones and Caribbean influences re-calling that of her first album. It's not sounding great, it's not as gripping nor as interesting as last year's Rated R which I loved, but there is still something there. Here's a quick run-through:

1. "S&M" Pulsating dance-pop overhauled with a heavy sexual drive ("sticks and stones may break my bones, but chains and whips excite me")

2. "What's My Name?" (feat. Drake) Current US #1. It's pretty downbeat, skittering drum beats. Still sounds very underlined with sexual undertones ("I really wanna see if you can downtown with a girl like me")

3. "Cheers (Drink to That)" Borrows a sample from Avril Lavinge's "I'm with You." It sounds kind of grungy and downbeat--I'm not too sold on this yet.

4. "Fading" A generic but nice enough mid-tempo, I like the sightly more R&B flourish in its middle section.

5. "Only Girl (In the World)" Lead single. Obvious highlight.

6. "California King Bed" Awesome slice of guitar-driven pop with a slight dark lyrical edge. It's the "Fire Bomb" of the album.

7. "Man Down" Caribbean influenced pop--with the thick accent in tact.

8. "Raining Men" (feat. Nicki Minaj) Skittering drum beats, think Beyonce's "Diva." Slightly lazy lyrics.

9. "Complicated" Booming vocal over keyboards, synths and pounding bass lines. One of the more interesting songs on here.

10. "Skin" Basically, 5 minutes of sexy lyrics over a seductive beat-driven backdrop.

11. "Love the Way You Lie, Pt. 2" (feat. Eminem) Her version of hit "Love the Way You Lie."

I haven't read any reviews on this yet, but there's nothing here that suggest that this won't be a hit. As I said, it's not as gripping but it is more likable with maybe not as many highlights. Review will be up soon.

3 comments:

ww_adh said...

I'm looking forward to this too. I hope it's as good as her last two albums, both of which I really like.

J.Mensah said...

Loved Rated R and GGGB too!

rcLoy said...

Its out already???? I'm so downloading this!