Saturday, November 13, 2010

What I'm listening to...

So, here's what's been on heavy rotation on my iPod this week;

Better Than Today - Kylie Minogue. Great performance of this by Minogue on the X Factor last week, by the way. The third single from Aphrodite is upbeat, fun and pouncing with synths and guitars--perhaps not as good "Get Outta My Way" but I'm liking this a lot.

The Silence - Alexandra Burke. Some haunting vocally-charged balladry from pop singer Alexandra Burke. I like the added choir to its climax on the new single version--gives it that much more umph.

What's My Name? - Rihanna feat. Drake. Great downbeat pop; 808 drum beats and underline beats re-calling that of last single "Te Amo."

Grenade - Bruno Mars. A nice switch-up from the world's best boyfriend message of "Just the Way You Are." Driving a haunting undertone behind the rhythmic beats and synths. It's a cool track.

Stary - Hurts. Awesome dejecting ballad from synthpop duo Hurts, with quite a nice hefty production; beginning with light keys before the clobbering bass lines kick in while the nervously bleating horn ponder over.

Like a G6 - Far*East Movement. This has been quite a big hit overseas, landing the music group their first American #1. Admittedly I wasn't too fussed, but now it's been on heavy rotation across the music channels it's grown on me quite a lot.

Your Song - Ellie Goulding. After 4 singles released from her debut album Lights, BBC Sound Poll topper Ellie Goulding is readying the re-release Bright Lights which is preceded by this angelic cover of Elton John's "Your Song."

The Flood - Take That. I'm still listening to this quite a bit. I can't wait to hear the forthcoming Progress, I still can't believe they may lose out to Rihanna's "Only Girl" for this week's #1. Baffling.

Waiting for the End - Linkin Park. I never did get around to reviewing their new album A Thousand Suns--maybe next month. I do really like this beat-heavy 2nd single--it kind of reminds of Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind." A pretty awesome climax too.

4 comments:

rcLoy said...

Oh my, there's not much similarity in our playlist these days :( Only Kylie and FEM :/ I really need to catch up fast! Have you started on your best of 2010 yet?

J.Mensah said...

Yup! I'm nearly done working on my best albums of 1990s list too! Have you?

Paul said...

viva Better Than Today. X Factor has totally made that a single for me :) And viva The Flood. And a little bit of viva to Alexandra. I still wanted a new album from her. Or an Ep of Ke$sha/G#Gah length!

J.Mensah said...

I really like BTT, surprised it didn't really have as much of an impact on iTunes after the perfromance and speaking of performance really looking forward to Burke's performance--the same day as Nicole -insert second name here-