Monday, March 14, 2011

Singles Reviews

Til the World Ends - Britney Spears (4/5). Britney's new single is a nice slice of fun Kesha co-written dance-pop in the same vein as Kesha's own hits "TiK ToK" and "Blow"--It's definitely catchy, however I don't think it's as commanding as "Hold it Against Me." And while it's been under performing in certain territories, particularly the UK (debuting at #21 this week), I'm still convinced it'll be a big hit soon enough.

E.T. - Katy Perry feat. Kanye West (4/5). I didn't like Teenage Dream much and apart from the 3 singles prior, I was convinced Katy Perry wouldn't be able to pull out anymore hits from it but oh! how wrong I was. #1 on iTunes right now is it's 4th single--this slightly dark, beat-heavy number lined with electronic undertones and an awesome pouncing chorus. I distinctively remember not liking this at all upon the first couple listens, but I think there's something about an album track transforming into a single that just makes it likable.

Super Bass - Nicki Minaj (4/5). Rapper Nicki Minaj has been quite consistent with her single releases. I thought "Your Love" was okay and loved "Right Thru Me" and "Moment 4 Life," however this new release is her best yet; skittering drums, clobbering beats with a spacey-pop undertone and punchy chorus. This was originally a bonus track on Pink Friday and has been covered by Seleena Gomez and Taylor Swift--which might indicate as to why it was chosen a single, after all it did reach #68 on iTunes following their renditions.

Heart On My Sleeve - Olly Murs (3.5/5). Pop singer Olly Murs steps back from the jaunty pop of his previous 2 singles for the more grand Robbie Williams/Take That inspired balladry of "Heart On My Sleeve." It's not that really that great but not too bad either.

Yeah Yeah - Cheryl Cole feat. Travie McCoy (2.5/5). It feels like it's been quite some time since we heard from UK sweetheart Cheryl Cole, I didn't think we'd even get a 3rd single from Messy Little Raindrops following the under performance of 2nd single "The Flood," but here we are with the more upbeat, frothy but distinctively flimsy piece of dance-pop.

5 comments:

rcLoy said...

That Britney song is super rad. I really dig it. I like it better than HIAM. And I need to check out the Nicki Minaj's song. Thanks for the info. Where's your review for Femme Fatale?

Paul said...

i just don't get the new britbrit single. am i getting old J?! I need some oil of olay :P

J.Mensah said...

rcloy: It's up now, yo! :)

Paul: ¬_¬ ...yes, you're getting old.

ww_adh said...

I think "Yeah Yeah" isn't being released as a single now, which irritates me. It disappeared from the New Releases list I check regularly.

J.Mensah said...

Really? I wanna say that sucks... but the song wasn't great anyway.