Thursday, April 07, 2011

Singles Reviews

Jar of Hearts - Christina Perri (4/5). American singer/songwriter Christina Perri has a raw, outré vocal style, like a restraint Alanis Morissette that works well on this fragile heartfelt piano and string, melody-strung ballad. It's been hovering around on the upper-reaches of the Hot 100 for awhile now.

Broken Record - Katy B (4/5). From the dark dubstep of "On a Mission" to the celebratory raggae of "Lights On" and now to the seeping trancy electronic undertones of "Broken Record" British singer Katy B has proven to be quite the diverse character. I'm looking forward to her debut album, On a Mission.

No Sleep - Whiz Khalifia (3.5/5).
Less standard hip-hop-sounding than "Black and Yellow" exuding more of an accessible, melodic egdge; synths and electronic undertones. Sounds like B.o.B. could have done this too.

Just Can't Get Enough - Black Eyed Peas(3/5). It's no secret that I didn't like the latest Black Eyed Peas album, The Beginning, at all. Even the singles weren't doing it for me, "The Time (The Dirty Bit)" just simmered beneath the line of awful, however "Just Can't Get Enough" the follow-up single is a little better; beginning with amiable piano chords before dissolving into a electronic wall of kinetic synth-beats.

Friday - Rebecca Black (5/5). Every decade or so, a force emerges that redefines pop music as we know it--The Beatles did in the '60s, Madonna and Michael did in the '80s, Britney Spears and Lady Gaga did it in the '00s and now we have... Rebecca Black, a 13 year old American who explores new depths pop music, challenging our mind-set and revealing a sense of lyrical exploration that has never indulged in before. Ever. It's definitely an uncharted territory--from the complex, boundary pushing poppy synths to the songs selling point: the mind-expanding, thought-provoking lyrics: "Yesterday was Thursday, Today was Friday," until the release of this song, I always thought Saturday came before Friday but last week the most insane, extraordinary, completely magical, unheard of thing happened... Thursday ACTUALLY came before Friday. Thank you Rebecca. I didn't know who I was until I heard this song. I barely knew my place in this world, in society--I even contemplated ending it all until I heard this song. This is definitely one for the books, I hope she expands her horizons even further and starts tackling the months of the year. (I'm kidding, awful song, 0.5/5)

3 comments:

Paul said...

Rebecca Black makes me want to claw my ears off and eat them to make the cacophony stop!!

Project Mobius said...

Thank you for the awesome Friday rip! I did one just like it, if you want to check under the Freaky Friday tab on my blog (projectmobius.blogspot.com).

Anyways, thank you for giving Jar of Hearts a good review! I like the song very much, but I feel it's been around too long in the U.S. to hit another big boost in popularity.

J.Mensah said...

Paul: It is diabolical. Although I think it's a bit harsh people sending her death-threats though.

PM: Thanks for the heads up, dude! Reading it now!