Sunday, May 08, 2011

Singles Reviews


I Need a Dollar - Aloe Blacc (4.5/5)
Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) - Katy Perry (4/5)
Good Life - OneRepublic (4/5)
Man Down - Rihanna (3.5/5)
Nodbody's Perfect - Jessie J (3.5/5)
Run the World (Girls) - Beyonce (3/5)
Im Into You - Jennifer Lopez Featuring Lil Wayne (3/5)
The Story of Us - Taylor Swift (3/5)
Where Them Girls At - David Guetta Featuring Nicki Minaj & Flo Rida (2/5)

Click below to read full reviews

I Need a Dollar - Aloe Blacc (4.5/5)

So, surprisingly the best in the bunch this week is "I Need a Dollar" by American R&B singer Aloe Blacc, which was actually released last year, but I haven't paid any attention to until now. The song has a great slick '70s throwback production--horns, poignant piano keys and salacious bass guitars--not to mention his stirring soulful vocal. It's the lead single from second album Good Things, also released last year. I assume the whole album is built around this sound. Perhaps something to check out.

Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) - Katy Perry (4/5)

It's another winner from Katy Perry! Very tactical of her to release the obvious highlights from her rather underwhelming Teenage Dream. It's a fun slice of feel-good pop--nothing too different from "California Gurls" or even "Teenage Dream." It's a no-brainer that this has a major shot at being the fifth #1 from Teenage Dream.

Good Life - OneRepublic (4/5)

Nothing American rock band OneRepublic have released from their second album Waking Up has really caught my attention. "All the Right Moves" was okay, but nothing I'd spin a lot on my iPod, however"Good Life" the fourth single from the album , is quite good; a surprisingly downbeat release from them--rhythmic beats contrasted by a mellowing atmospheric backdrop and acoustic guitars.

Man Down - Rihanna (3.5/5)

I'm not really clear on what exactly is the fourth single from Rihanna's latest album Loud. It was thought that "California King Bed" was chosen, now it seems it's the frenetic Caribbean pop of "Man Down" instead--or maybe it's a simultaneous release: One for pop radio and the other for urban/rhythmic? In any case, it's not my personal favorite from the album, but it'll do I guess. What ever happened to "Raining Men" anyway?

Nobody's Perfect - Jessie J (3.5/5)

On course to score British pop singer Jessie J a third top 10 is "Nobody's Perfect" the third single from her debut Who You Are. I should like this more--I like the clattering drum beats, menacing orchestration backing, it's just a pretty decent tune, but at the same time a little ho-hum.

Run the World (Girls) - Beyonce (3/5)

Who'd ever thought that there would ever be a time that Beyonce would release a song and the world would go "next." It hasn't really made an impact anywhere, which is understandable, it's not a particuarly catchy number nor is it tuneful--or maybe the whole female empowerment standpoint has just been overdone--she has infact gone from "Independent Woman," to "Single Ladies" and now to "Girls." Who knows, personally I don't think it's as bad a everyone's making it out be, but hopefully the next single is better.

I'm Into You - Jennifer Lopez Featuring Lil Wayne (3/5)


A
little tamer than "On the Floor." It sounds good, but doesn't it also sound like a song Rihanna rejected from Loud? In fact I gave Lopez latest album Love? a listen and most of the stuff on there does sound like something any other vocally limited female singer in the top 40 could sing too.

The Story of Us - Taylor Swift (3/5)

There's nothing much to say about "The Story of Us" other than that it's another great hybrid of country/pop number from Taylor Swift--great chorus too.

Where Them Girls At - David Guetta Featuring Nicki Minaj & Flo Rida (2/5)

Poised to top the UK singles chart this week is "Where Them Girls At" by David Guetta, featuring vocals from American rappers Nicki Minaj and Flo Rida. If anything, Guetta is getting a little lazy with his latest releases, first "Sweat" now this lethargic re-hash of "Sexy Bitch." Sigh.

2 comments:

ww_adh said...

The Aloe Blacc song is great, isn't it? I hope we hear more from him. I'm kind of tired of David Guetta. And I agree that Run the World is just so-so. I didn't like it at first; it's grown on a me bit, but not a lot.

J.Mensah said...

Yeah, it's a fantastic song! I'm gonna try and get into his album soon. And ditto to Guetta--he's boring me now, just the same thing over and over again.