Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Mojo, Uncut and Q Albums of 2011

Mojo's top 10:
  1. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
  2. The Horrors - Skying
  3. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
  4. Jonathan Wilson - Gentle Spirit
  5. Kate Bush - 50 Words for Snow
  6. White Denim - D
  7. Josh T. Pearson - Last of the Country Gentlemen
  8. Anna Calvi - Anna Calvi
  9. Tom Waits - Bad As Me
  10. Wild Beasts - Smother

Mojo bestow the title of 2011's best album upon PJ Harvey's Mercury award winning Let England Shake, an album that's proving unsurprisingly popular among most lists I've viewed. I tried to like this album, but couldn't get into it. I feel like I'm missing out. I'm glad to see the Fleet Foxes' awesome second album Helplessness Blues up so high, because it's so great and because it's the only other album on the list I'm familiar with.

Ucut's top 10:

  1. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
  2. Gillian Welch - The Harrow & The Harvest
  3. Metronomy - The English Riviera
  4. White Denim - D
  5. Josh T. Pearson - Last Of The Country Gentlemen
  6. The Horrors - Skying
  7. Radiohead - The King of Limbs
  8. Wild Beasts - Smother
  9. Bon Iver - Bon Iver
  10. The War on Drugs - Slave Ambient
Uncut also opt for PJ Harvey's Let England Shake. I'm glad to see Gillian Welch, Radiohead and Bon Iver up so high--three albums I've liked a lot this year.

Q's top 10:
  1. Florence + The Machine - Ceremonials
  2. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
  3. Adele - 21
  4. Bon Iver - Bon Iver
  5. Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto
  6. Kanye West and Jay-Z - Watch the Throne
  7. Arctic Monkeys - Suck It and See
  8. St. Vincent - Strange Mercy
  9. Go Tell Fire to the Mountain - WU LYF
  10. Build a Rocket Boys! - Elbow

Q's list is expectedly much more mainstream (I've reviewed 6 albums out of their 10). I'm very surprised to see Florence + The Machine's Ceremonials at #1. I liked the album but I didn't think it was that good and I didn't think critics liked that much either, the same with Kanye West/Jay-Z's Watch the Throne. I'm also surprised that both Arctic Monkeys and Coldplay made it into their top 10, as they both released some of the year's most unimpressive albums (by their standards). This is the first list I've seen that has Elbow's Build a Rock Boys! in their top 10, it's an album I loved but critics took a pass on.

No comments: